Lead LookDevelopment Artist
The Lookdev Lead is in charge of the shading-surfacing team as well as creating complex, realistic shading network. They participate in determining the method and procedures for the projects while working closely with other Lead Artists and Supervisors to ensure all textures meet the look and esthetic of the projects as well as technical requirements of the pipeline.
- Create photorealistic shading for digital assets using the supplied textures and photographic reference material and/or concept artwork.
- The shading work also include fur, hair and FX phenomena (cloud, dust, fire etc.)
- Liaise with CG Supervisor on a regular basis for work allocation and feedback.
- With direction from the show supervisors, establish the shading network pipeline for the show.
- Work closely with the CG Supervisor, Modeler and Texture Leads to establish the overall workflow.
- Work closely with the modeling and texture team to ensure that the geometry and textures are optimum.
- Provide constructive feedback to the LookDev team to enable them to move forward with their work.
- Work with lighters and shader writers to resolve technical issues and ensure assets are optimized for rendering.
- Assist in assessment of advanced and new product training for existing staff.
- Participate to the creation of a HDR workflow (plate ingestion, neutralized images)
- Thorough understanding of the visual effects pipeline from modeling through texturing, lighting and rendering.
- Strong creative skills and a thorough understanding of the techniques required to generate shading network using a combination of textures and shaders.
- Thorough understanding of the shading process and the ability to both interpret designs and photoreal references.
- Excellent Maya skills and renderers such as Arnold
- Strong understanding of image color space relating to texture painting
- Excellent HDR understanding and light comprehension
- Ability to work well in a team and solve asset specific issues independently
- Experience leading and training others
- Previous film industry experience
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years’ of Look Development experience with high end film
- Experience leading teams (6+ people) on large projects of 300 + shots
- Demonstrated proficiency in defining and creating photo-realistic assets
- Experience with rendering large datasets
- Thorough understanding of traditional art skills (Form, architecture, anatomy, topology, color theory) and how to apply those skills in a digital medium
- Excellent attention to detail when finalizing, approving or quality controlling assets
- Ability to balance quick turnaround while achieving a high degree of aesthetic quality