ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Based in Vancouver BC, we are a world-class visual effects studio led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement.
Well known for our Academy Award Nominated work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, we have gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films including; Zero Dark Thirty, Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, and Independence Day Resurgence.
We can do this because we place awesome new tools in the hands of our artists. R&D is central to our philosophy of driving creativity through innovation, with a focus on continually evolving our robust production pipelines and pioneering in the area of proprietary software development.
The purpose of the Environment TD role is to create or recreate a fully photo-real digital environment with a team that works and operates within a scale-able visual effects pipeline, using tools and techniques to optimize and streamline the generated content. The Environment TD will have a thorough knowledge of Matte Painting techniques, 2.5D projection mapping workflow and 3D. They will work closely with the pipeline department and CG Supervisors to update and refine the environment/city generation pipeline.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work daily with the Environment supervisor, matte painters, environment/assets team and other supervisors to identify and implement existing and new features
- Report back to the Environment Supervisor with any issues or concerns from findings
- Translate concept art into photo-realistic environments
- Assemble models, digital matte paintings, textures, projections and lights into a CG scene for rendering
- Trouble shoot artist tool issues; develop effective solutions in collaboration w/pipeline team.
- Support Production team; attend production meetings as need for information and requirements gathering
- Write Technical Briefs and provide supporting documentation within the scope of Environment/City generation
- Improve our efficiency by testing new tools and workflows that are released to the industry
- Identify early areas of improvement; escalates issues as needed
- Troubleshoot technical issues with the CG scene and optimising the renders to work within the resources available
- Work with a shot Compositor to assemble renders and projections in a compositing application
- Work to develop the look of a shot, assets or sequence with the Visual Effects and CG Supervisors
- Identify the best approach for matching the quality of the plate photography
- Work in partnership with other departments to ensure that shots are delivered to the highest possible standard
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ of Environment TD experience with high end film
- Demonstrated proficiency in defining and creating photo-real elements
- Experience with rendering large datasets
- Strong knowledge of Photoshop, Nuke and Maya
- Experience modeling, UV layout and texturing skills
- Strong artistic skills in digital matte painting combining plate augmentation and hand painting in Photoshop
- Experience in photography and being able to use photographic content from different media appropriately in set re-creation (stills, HDRI etc)
- Good understanding of VFX generalist workflows, specifically: Modelling (architecture & environments), texture creation, lighting and rendering
- Experience delivering complete milestones/tasks under tight deadlines
- Experience with a wide range of specialist software used to create digital environments
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to help with bidding; determine the timeframe and scope required for each project
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities and projects
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications
- Ability to teach new techniques and apply new approaches to push assets to the next level
- Great eye for detail, initiative, and excellent organizational skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Team player and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong troubleshooting/problem solving ability.