ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Based in Vancouver BC, we are a world-class visual effects studio led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement.
Well known for our Academy Award Nominated work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, we have gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films including; Zero Dark Thirty, Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, and Independence Day Resurgence.
We can do this because we place awesome new tools in the hands of our artists. R&D is central to our philosophy of driving creativity through innovation, with a focus on continually evolving our robust production pipelines and pioneering in the area of proprietary software development.
The Lead Creature Effects TD is responsible for leading a small team in designing and creating simulations related to the realistic movement of a creature, including clothing, hair, fur, skin and muscles. This person will also take charge of the continuing improvement of Image Engine's Creature Effects workflow and tools.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for delivering the Simulation (Cloth, Muscle and Skin, Hair and Fur) and Technical Animation work (pre and post) for the show/department
- Responsible for working with the relevant Producers and Supervisors to assess, assign and lead the implementation of Creature Effects needs
- Build and maintain Dynamic rigs of varying complexity (hero and background assets, digital doubles etc), to meet the requirements of the show
- Address supervisor and client comments by integrating solutions into assets or providing one-off shot fixes as appropriate to deliver required results with maximum efficiency
- Attend/lead dailies, reviews, and team meetings as required
- Work with the rigging, assets, animation and other departments, as required, to maintain continuity between projects and ensure information is communicated up and down the pipeline
- Write utility scripts and provide input regarding existing tools and interfaces for creature FX pipeline and workflow
- Responsible for achieving high quality work within the time constraints given
- Responsible for the clear communication of creature FX goals and working processes between all departments
- Provide guidance on how to best achieve a certain effect within the available show pipeline
- Estimate the time required for tasks and provide accurate progress reports
- Mentor junior artists
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 years+ of feature film/TV production experience
- The CFX Lead should have 5+ years of progressive experience leading small to medium size teams (i.e. 3+ people) on large projects (300+ shots).
- Strong understanding of real-world physics and anatomy and a desire to learn more depending on the requirements of the project
- Proficient in Maya
- Strong communication skills and a clear understanding of animation requirements. The applicant must be able to work alongside other creative and technical artists.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to train and coach artists in Maya
- Experience with Linux based OS
- Deep understanding of the Maya dynamics tool sets and ability to quickly pick up proprietary tools and pipeline
- Experience with Houdini is also appreciated
- Working knowledge of at least one scripting language (python preferred)
- Excellent eye for detail for quality control
- Rigging knowledge is a plus
- Ability to assist with bids
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities
- Capable of managing a team of artists; setting expectations, and managing their time
- The ability to work alongside, communicate with, and understand the requirements of Animators, CG and VFX Supervisors, Assets Department, FX, Lighting, Comp, R&D and Pipeline developers
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent problem solver who can focus on detail, while maintaining the whole picture
- Excellent time management and communication skills