ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Based in Vancouver BC, we are a world-class visual effects studio led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement.
Well known for our Academy Award Nominated work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, we have gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films including; Zero Dark Thirty, Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, and Independence Day Resurgence.
We can do this because we place awesome new tools in the hands of our artists. R&D is central to our philosophy of driving creativity through innovation, with a focus on continually evolving our robust production pipelines and pioneering in the area of proprietary software development.
The Compositing Supervisor will lead by example, deliver briefs and set the quality standards for all compositing work completed. They will review and finalize all frames before submission. They will coach, guide and provide feedback to artists ensuring detailed and high quality work is delivered to Image Engine clients. Compositing Supervisors will be responsible for employee performance management and supervision.
Equally, the Compositing Supervisor will establish themselves as a key member of the leadership team and will build relationships with all Image Engine Supervisors and Leads. They will leverage their relationships with department Supervisors to build cross-departmental efficiencies. They will communicate with the Leads and Producers to develop cost effective bids to assist Image Engine procure new business opportunities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interview, select and train artists
- Engage in the performance management process such as performance reviews, daily feedback, and mentoring
- Review scope of work and assign tasks based on artist skills/abilities
- Manage workflow to balance production schedule and employee resources
- Communicate artist surplus or deficits to ensure profit and loss margins are maximized
- Utilize effective communication skills to receive client notes and deliver instructions/feedback to artists
- Ensure quality standards are met by administering final quality control checks for all artist’s work
- Communicate with vendors to provide feedback and directions for all assigned tasks
- Provide recommendations/technical solutions for effective task completion
- Work with lighting team members to achieve high quality complex composites
- Design and develop procedural and innovative tool sets, pipelines and techniques for the Compositors
- Provide assistance to junior artists in the event an assigned task proves to be too difficult
- Communicate with other departments and provide solutions to technical issues
- Attend and coordinate meetings with other departments
- Stay on the pulse of all activities surrounding the assigned project
- Understand elements impacting other departments to foresee/prevent challenges in compositing department
- Process requests from downstream departments
- Use time management skills to schedule meetings and tasks effectively
- Manage time and resources to meet weekly targets
- Complete compositing tasks include blue/green screen pulls, 3D projection environment in Nuke, balancing and sometimes creating shadow elements, color correction, wire & rig removal, roto, dust-busting, morphs, transitions, background replacement, day-for-night, dry-for-wet and a host of other 2D issues if time permits
- Mentor junior artists
- Promote interdepartmental collaboration
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ experience in compositing digital VFX for film
- 2 years of experience as a lead
- Supervisory experience is an asset
- Experience with complex matte extractions and motion tracking
- Understanding of photography, physics and lighting
- Excellent attention to detail when finalizing, approving or quality controlling shots
- Ability to balance quick turnaround while achieving a high degree of aesthetic quality
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to train and coach artists in compositing techniques and best practice
- Senior experience in Nuke
- Strong aptitude for technical workflow challenges such as directory structure, file formats, naming conventions, scripts, automation tools, automated dailies, etc.
- Strong knowledge of compositing workflow and the compositing application interface
- Excellent eye for detail for quality control
- Ability to help with bidding; determine the timeframe and scope required for each project
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities and projects
- Capable of managing a team of artists; setting expectations, and managing their time
- Ability to assess artist’s strengths and weaknesses to assign tasks and manage workflow
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications
- Ability to teach new techniques and apply new approaches to push compositing to the next level
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to remain calm during peak production periods and maintain the morale of the Compositing team.