ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Based in Vancouver BC, we are a world-class visual effects studio led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement.
Well known for our Academy Award Nominated work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, we have gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films including; Zero Dark Thirty, Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, and Independence Day Resurgence.
We can do this because we place awesome new tools in the hands of our artists. R&D is central to our philosophy of driving creativity through innovation, with a focus on continually evolving our robust production pipelines and pioneering in the area of proprietary software development.
The Creature FX TD is responsible for delivering high quality work for Image Engine shows within the assigned timeframe. They will apply notes provided by the CFX Leads, Asset Supervisor, and show supervisors. They will proactively seek solutions with the leads/supervisors and members of other departments. They will identify and troubleshoot problems as needed and will ask for assistance when necessary to ensure effective use of time and resources. CFX TDs will communicate with other departments to ensure they are receiving data to resolve shot related problems.
CFX TDs will work with CFX Leads to implement CFX solutions for Image Engine shows. They will communicate with other Leads and artists that are assigned to the show to make sure work completed is consistent.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Delivering assigned Simulation (Cloth, Muscle and Skin, Hair and Fur ) and Technical Animation work (Pre and post)
- Build and maintain Dynamic rigs of varying complexity (hero and background assets, digital doubles etc.), to meet the requirements of the show
- Learn and work within the existing pipeline and asset specifications
- Address supervisor and client comments by integrating solutions into assets or providing one-off shot fixes as appropriate to deliver required results with maximum efficiency
- Attend dailies, reviews, and team meetings as required
- Work with the rigging, modeling, animation and other departments, as required, to maintain continuity between projects and ensure information is communicated up and down the pipeline
- Write utility scripts and provide input regarding existing tools and interfaces for creature FX pipeline and workflow
- Accountable for meeting productivity and quota targets on time and at a high level of quality
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 3 years+ of feature film/TV production experience
- Demonstrated work experience with Maya
- Proficient in Maya
- Strong understanding of real-world physics and anatomy and a desire to learn more depending on the requirements of the project
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience with Linux based OS
- Deep understanding of the Maya dynamics tool sets and ability to quickly pick up proprietary tools and pipeline
- Experience with Houdini is also appreciated
- Working knowledge of at least one scripting language (python preferred)
- Excellent eye for detail for quality control
- Rigging knowledge is a plus
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities
- The ability to work alongside, communicate with, and understand the requirements of Animators, CG and VFX Supervisors, Assets Department, FX, Lighting, Comp, R&D and Pipeline developers
- Excellent problem solver who can focus on detail, while maintaining the whole picture
- Excellent time management and communication skills