ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Based in Vancouver BC, we are a world-class visual effects studio led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement.
Well known for our Academy Award Nominated work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, we have gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films including; Zero Dark Thirty, Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, and Independence Day Resurgence.
We can do this because we place awesome new tools in the hands of our artists. R&D is central to our philosophy of driving creativity through innovation, with a focus on continually evolving our robust production pipelines and pioneering in the area of proprietary software development.
The Senior Matchmove Artists is responsible for delivering high quality shots in a quick and efficient manner. They will act as an example to junior artists and deliver all tasks with in the required timeframe. They will understand all aspects of the Matchmove role. Senior Matchmove artists will apply briefing notes with minimal direction from team Leads or Supervisors. They will quality check all of their work and occasionally will assist the Matchmove Leads to quality check the work of junior artists should the workload require it. The will work closely with Leads to communicate issues and recommend solutions.
Senior Matchmove artists will have a thorough knowledge base of the tools and software required to execute high quality shots. They will have a strong understanding of geometry and be able to apply them in the appropriate environment to achieve desired results.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply client notes to all plates with minimal guidance
- Identify solutions and approaches to solve difficult shots without guidance
- Communicate successes and challenges faced by the team to the Matchmove Leads
- Assist with outsourcing including packaging shots for FTP and QC
- Utilize background plates to obtain camera and object motion in plate photography. This may include animating live action characters or relative object in the scene(rotomation)
- Model stand-in Matchmove geometry used by Animators and Technical Directors
- Does basic composites of the files with the background to judge the camera and object solves
- Maintain continuity between shots, and troubleshoot problem shots
- Setup the technical and aesthetic approaches of the Matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or an entire aspect of a show under the direction of the project Supervisors
- Provide support to junior Matchmovers
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 4-5 years’ experience with a high-level film-based camera tracking
- Must have experience with 3D Equalizer
- Fully understands an iteration intensive shot pipeline
- Experience with Lidar, Total station data and survey a plus
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong understanding of on-set photography and film and how various camera rigs create camera movement in live action plates
- Strong knowledge of Maya is required
- Knowledge of PF Track is an asset
- Ability to script in MEL and Python is an asset
- Experience with Nuke is an asset
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities
- Ability to work on a project specific basis based on project workflow
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Eye for detail